10 Reasons Why Every Photographer Needs to Spend Time in New York City
1. Creativity is in the air. As soon as you leave the airport and enter the city you’ll start feeling the energetic buzz. It’ll make you want to explore and photograph immediately. Careful though, you might never want to stop doing it.
2. Old meets new, high meets low, rich meets poor, water meets concrete. New York City is an exciting mix of contrasts that will inspire your artistic vision.
3. Let yourself get inspired by other artists. There are more museums and galleries than you could ever explore. Try anyways and improve your photography in the process.
4. The latest trends are regularly born in New York City. Who knows, you might also find it easy to find a new unusual project idea. Think Humans of New York, countless interesting stories are practically walking the streets of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and the Bronx every day.
5. New York is full of interesting characters, and they are approachable (again, think Humans of New York). If you’re into portraiture photography, NYC is your paradise.
6. Despite everything, you’re not inspired? No problem, just take a tour of the sights. At the very least you’ll fly home with snapshots of tons of touristy spots that you have put your own spin on.
7. There are all kinds of modes of transportation – trains, the subway, cabs, ferries, buses, aerial trams, helicopters. That means different perspectives of the cityscapes to photography by you.
8. Get your hands on the latest equipment – B&H and several rental services make it possible. If you have some cash to spare, you can even rent a studio, find some models and feel like the next Annie Leibovitz for a day. The sky’s the limit.
9. Speaking of Annie Leibovitz. You can walk by her studio in Greenwich Village, then buy a photobook at Bookmarc around the corner and take a stop at Magnolia’s bakery. Sit down outside on a bench, enjoy your delicious cupcake and dream up your future photography career, fired up by all these inspiring energies around you.
10. There are infinite possibilities. NYC never stops, it is truly ever changing. So you don’t have to be afraid to run out of ideas or stunning pictures to take here any time soon.